Modelling activityMathematical modelling, often referred to as the modelling cycle, can be represented by a diagram:
The key stages in this modelling process can be summarized as:
- SPECIFY THE PURPOSE - define the problem and decide on the aspects of the problem to investigate.
- CREATE THE MODEL - state simplifying assumptions; choose variables and parameters and formulate mathematical relationships.
- DO THE MATHEMATICS - solve equations, draw graphs and derive results.
- INTERPRET RESULTS - describe mathematical solution in words; perform sensitivity analysis; decide what results to compare with reality and collect relevant data.
- EVALUATE THE MODEL - test the model by comparing it with reality and criticise the model.